Friday, April 15, 2011

Apologies..... and Elevators

Well, I was afraid this was going to happen. This was one of the reasons I avoided creating a blog. Because I knew I would start to lose interest in keeping it updated. That unless I made profound discoveries that I could put into great diction, and proper grammar and spelling, it wasn’t worth posting. Therefore there would be long stretches where there would be no posts… And it has come to this.

I am sorry for that, I really am. Part of it is that I do not feel like getting on the computer on weekends, or evenings after spending most of my days at work in front of one. But mostly, it is due to what I said above - lack of anything real to say.

I make minor observations daily which I think “this would be good on the blog”. But I just don’t ever get around to writing it down.

One example of this, was a couple of weeks ago, when an acquaintance of mine was in the hospital, and I was riding elevators on a daily basis. Aren’t elevators just the most intricate social experiment, I thought. Think about it. Have you ever watched people in an elevator? They are such a strain for most people. It creates an instant social cohesion. Everyone is forced to be closer than proper social convention dictates, and because it’s such a brief encounter, it almost offers the opportunity for the most intense connection. Say, in a hospital for instance. You know the other people are visiting someone. Often someone very close to them, much like yourself. And you can form a bond over that so quickly.

Then there are less straight forward social connections. If you get in an elevator with someone, and they make a comment about your purse, or the weather, etc, are you required/expected to bid them adieu when you reach your floor? Or if they reach theirs, do you have a right to be slightly put out if they don’t say anything upon exiting? And what is the appropriate exiting words? “Have a good life” seems rather presumptious, and awfully flippant. But really, it’s one of the nicest things to say… and kind of appropriate in a way.

And there are the different types of elevators. There are elevators which have the buttons for the floors on both sides instead of one. These are easier on many because they don’t have to reach as far, or ask others to punch the buttons for them. There are elevators that are glass therefore affording a more open feeling, rather than the more traditional, and older boxed in versions. Nightmares for claustophobics. What about the elevators with doors on either side? For people with directional problems, those cause a sort of twilight zone pendulum shift for them. Yes, I thought, there’s a lot to be said about elevators.

But would anyone listen? Would anyone care? Or would you all read this and say… okaaaayyy, she started off great with reviews on books and movies, but then started talking about elevators?

Well, have no fear. I have joined a book club. Yes, a real live book club with real bona-fide paperbacks (though, I admit, I’m using the Kobo e-reader). But still. And yes, we are having in depth discussions over real ‘thinker’ books. Which I am hoping to be able to comment here on my blog.

So, I’ll leave you with two promises:

1 – I will endeavour to be MUCH more consistent with postings and
2 – No more blogs about elevators :D

No comments:

Post a Comment