Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A week with Dad - Tuesdays

Actually, Tuesdays weren't really my days when it came to time with Dad. On Tuesdays, for most of my younger years, I went with Bonnie to Pioneer Girls - a more religious version of Girl Guides. What I do remember about Dad and Tuesdays is how amazing he was with my brother.

Adam always felt left out because I was able to go out on Tuesday nights with Bonnie. We thought of it as our Girls night out. Once Dad picked up on this, he immediately swung it around and it became "boys night". This usually involved Lego and snacks and... well, I don't really know - it WAS boys night after all :) It never occurred to me that Dad and I had Monday nights, and then Bonnie and I had Tuesday nights, so no wonder Adam felt left out... we are all in our minds, and it has taken me until now to see that. Good thing Dad was so much more intuitive than me! :)

As I grew older, I want to say that Tuesday's became piano lesson nights, but I could be wrong. That may have been Wednesdays. Either way, for the sake of this week, we'll say it was Tuesdays. That way I can talk about Dad and the piano...

Dad bought that piano when his grandmother passed away. I don't remember her much - I was quite young when this happened. But he also began taking lessons from a lady named Liz. She would come over once a week and he would have a lesson with her. His lessons didn't last long (but then again, neither did mine). And yet - once again, something I am so grateful for. Dad had a musical ear... many spoke about it, and my piano teacher looked for it in me (and I think she found some of it lingering). Dad's musical ear was much stronger than mine though. He could sit down and find the notes to a song that was in his head just by tapping it out. But his favorite song to do on the piano was "Send in the Clowns". Sometimes he would just go downstairs and pull out the music (just for show of course - I don't think he really followed notes - it sort of just slowed him down) and he'd play the tune slowly and with slight mistakes. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

I remember one time when I was a little girl and Liz was over for Dad's lesson. I had a small little plant - one of the ones that you convince your parents to get you when you are four and walking through home depot. It was seriously drooping, and it looked very sad on top of the piano. I was worried about it, and Dad was totally understanding and promised not to throw it out just yet. I went upstairs and was laying in my bed half dozing to the sound of Dad's lesson below when Dad was suddenly at my door - he said "Erin, come see!!" I came down the stairs to see my plant alive and well standing tall and full. Dad said he'd just given it some water - but I like to think it was his music, and the way the piano would coax out his gentle nature that nurtured the plant back to life. A small memory - and yet still cherished.

Dad gifted the piano to me in the last few conversations we had together. It still sits in the basement in Arbour Lake, but I will endeavor to move it to my place soon. I will have it tuned. And perhaps, like Karate, it will be a chapter I reopen again soon. I think we all know the first song I'll want to learn to play...

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDm4EAlOHaM&feature=related

Enjoy Today. Enjoy Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment